VP, DESIGN (Kid's)
The VP of Design oversees all facets of the seasonal design strategy and development process, from concept to delivery, by managing a cross functional team of designers to create original, trend-appropriate design concepts that meet market needs and drive sales; partnering with production to ensure on-budget, on-time delivery of quality goods; collaborating with sales to create and execute an appropriate merchandise plan; and managing and motivating teams.
Strategy & Innovation
- Shop for and source samples and inspiration; perform research to isolate key, relevant trends for each category or brand, where appropriate and new fabrications to be adapted for each merchandise category; review and provide perspective on competitive analysis, fabric and concept boards, mock-ups, color-ups and inspirational photos for presentations.
- Oversee and review development of initial seasonal design concepts in context of larger assortment and cost structure; review and provide perspective on style plans; coordinate among design teams to ensure brand cohesiveness, where appropriate, across categories.
- Determine aesthetic of each brand and work collaboratively with the Designer to achieve that look.
Operations & Results
- Supervise creation of Illustrator sketches; approve specification sheets and line sheets; review product development logs, line sheets and boards for consistency; approve raw materials and trims.
- Sign off on lab dips and ensure consistency with color standards and licensor directives, where appropriate; approve prints and graphics where appropriate; oversee fit process.
- Oversee fit sessions; identify and resolve quality and technical issues.
- Manage overall workflow in the sample room.
- SKU Planning.
Customers & Relationships
- Maintain relationships with collaborators and competitors; attend trade shows and industry events.
- Oversee creation of style plans and design to meet sales needs and emerging trends; partner with merchandising and sales to identify new product opportunities; ensure execution to time-and-action calendar; coordinate among design teams to ensure brand cohesiveness, where appropriate, across categories.
- Collaborate with sales to merchandise and style showroom; present line to senior management and key accounts and buyers; partner with sales and brand management, where applicable, on collateral for in-store marketing needs.
- Direct communication and follow-up with internal and external customers and partners, including suppliers, vendors and licensors, where applicable; maintain relationships with existing partners in production and tech to source new suppliers and vendors.
- Manage communication with manufacturers and suppliers around the world.
Leadership & Teams
Skills and Requirements
- Lead, train and motivate team of full-time, part-time and freelance designers; strategize staffing needs across categories and brands, where appropriate.
- Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary.
- Attract, develop and retain talent; create appropriate succession plans.
- Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals and team(s).
- Superior organizational skills and excellent communication skills; team oriented.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; highly detail oriented, meticulous and creative.
- Creativity, technical capability and sensibility for merchandising; strong ability to sketch.
- Managerial skills a must in order to motivate and support team.
- Extensive knowledge of garment construction, pattern making, silhouettes, color ways, sewing techniques, fabrication and trim; familiarity with print design and manufacturing.
- Working knowledge of Ai, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Understanding of fit, construction and fabrics.
- Understanding of all printing processes as we as screen techniques.
- Understanding of the Clubs business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design.
- 10 - 12 years experience in apparel design; significant relevant experience in category.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe products, CAD and Mac computers.