SENIOR LEASE ACCOUNTANT
HUGO BOSS is globally renowned as a successful fashion and lifestyle brand. On the one hand, we have our passion for extraordinary design and high expectations regarding fabrics, processing and fitting to thank. On the other hand, we like to encourage our team of almost 13,800 employees to think outside the box. After all, different perspectives enhance creativity and performance and result in products that are sold in 126 countries at over 7,600 sales points around the globe.
Support the HUGO BOSS subgroup in the US, as well as the entity in Canada, with the preparation of the day-to-day lease accounting activities. The Senior Lease Accountant is responsible for overseeing the accuracy and integrity of all lease related accounting issues. These responsibilities include ensuring the accuracy of the Company’s lease liability, tenant improvement allowance, real estate tax, common area maintenance and percentage rent liabilities. Assists to ensure the compliance with accounting guidelines within the assigned tasks and act as a business partner to improve the quality of the financial close. Additionally, assistance of financial audits (e.g. year-end audits) or landlord audits are part of the position. Senior Lease Accountant will work closely with other Finance teams (Accounts Payable & Treasury, Credit and Tax department), Financial Analysis & Planning, Legal, Real Estate and Business departments. The position is based in New York City, New York.
- Perform accounting and general ledger duties including reconciling assigned accounts on a monthly basis and creating journal entries to correct, reclassify, or record items
- Work closely with Real Estate, Legal and Construction departments to understand the key terms of lease and construction agreements
- As part of the month end close process, prepare journal entries relating to but not limited to, straight line minimum rent, prepaid rent, accrued percentage rent, and amortization of lease incentives
- Prepare straight line and tenant allowance work papers to support accounting entries accordingly
- Responsible for analyzing store occupancy expense accounts, including communication with Financial Planning & Analysis department to ensure that accruals are properly recorded and that variances to budget are understood and explained
- Coordinate and track monthly fixed/variable rental payments with Accounts Payable team
- Assist Real Estate with update of financial data, including monthly payments, within lease profiles
- Primary point of contact for landlords to resolve billing, reconciliations, coordination of audits and other lease related issues
- Responsible for assisting Financial Planning & Analysis department with the annual budget and semi-annual forecast process for store occupancy expense accounts
- Act as business partner and transfer accounting/reporting knowledge to other departments
- Contribute to ensure the timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and year-end close based on internal as well headquarter (HQ) deadlines
- Review if assigned accounting topics are in line with accounting guidelines based on HQ procedures and IFRS updates
- Support Finance related audits (e.g. annual year-end audit)
- Assist with system development and implementation projects, specifically related to IFRS 16 Leases
- Assist in the lease related data collection process for HQ sustainability reporting
- Identify opportunities to enhance existing processes or procedures to improve control, measurement, and/or productivity
- Performs other duties as required.
- BS/BA in Finance or Accounting
- Minimum 5+ years of professional accounting/finance experience required
- First experience within the knowledge of accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations
- Knowledge of SAP (R/3) a plus as well as InvoiceLine
- Industry (Retail/WHS/eCommerce) is a plus
- Strong understanding of key lease provisions and ability to confidently read and interpret lease language
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications (particularly excel)
- Must be able to work independently and take initiative, hands-on mentality
- Detail oriented and enthusiastic
- Strong verbal and communication skills as well as project management skills
- Ability to multitask and work under deadlines
HUGO BOSS offers its employees exceptional working conditions in an international environment. If you are interested in the fashion sector and challenges inspire your ambition, we would like to get to know you.