SENIOR DIRECTOR, WOMEN'S MERCHANDISING
rag & bone is looking for a Senior Director of Women’s Merchandising who will partner with key rag & bone leaders to drive the women’s business inclusive of denim, casual and RTW collection product globally. This individual will be a highly skilled Women’s merchant leader who has a natural understanding of the rag & bone brand overall, and will be someone who has vision and can maximize the potential of rag & bone in women’s apparel categories. He/She will also be responsible for the hiring, developing, managing and leading the women’s merchant team and will be an end-to-end merchant who understands all aspects of product development, domestic and international as well as wholesale and retail channels of distribution. This individual will be a passionate merchant leader, who is nimble, and someone who is well versed in all women’s categories. He/She will be someone who understands the global competitive set and will be accustomed to working in fast-paced, highly energized work environments that are based on teamwork and shared vision.
The ideal candidate will be a highly analytical, creative thinker with both right-brain and left-brain orientation and he or she will have an extremely high taste level. This individual will have a demonstrated understanding of the global market, a strong vision for women’s merchandising and will have a demonstrated track record for working well with design and merchant led companies. The Senior Director, Women’s Merchandising will also possess the ability to bring a global perspective to the brand and will serve as the driver of the women’s apparel business while ensuring effective collaboration between Merchandising and all other departments within the organization including: Design, Product Development, Operations, Planning, Visual and Marketing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the driving force and strong partner to Design and the VP Merchandising while developing a strategy for Women’s apparel, balancing commercial market needs, the assortment range plan, sales mix and margin requirements.
- Work closely with Marcus Wainwright and women’s design team on managing the product process from pre-season line plans to assistance in creation of presentation boards, seasonally, along with any innovations that are relevant to brand story
- Partner with VP Merchandising, Chief Commercial Officer, and CEO/Founder Marcus Wainwright, to ensure both commercial and design needs are met within the collection
- Overall responsibility for the development and execution of the women’s collection plan – own the line list by costing, pricing and margin in close collaboration with costing and gross margin accountability for the overall category in close collaboration with key Planning and Product Management partners.
- Provide the vision and ensure that the product offering connects with relevant trends and stays true to the rag & bone ethos.
- Lead, mentor and develop a team of select merchants responsible for the women’s business
- Provide coaching to empower merchant team to influence and lead with parters in design, product management, plann
- Direct all product sales staff training
- Link with Product Management regarding corporate initiatives, sourcing, capacity planning, projections, etc. Plan collection plain and prepare sale
- Work closely with all visual teams, as well as buying team to ensure the presentation in retail stores is in line with company strategy based on product range, store profile, space, fixtures etc
- Review key customer needs with buying and sales to ensure commercial needs are being met
- Continue to assess the performance of assortment mix by product, brand, and category. Identify new opportunities and continue to develop strategies toward growing the rag & bone business
- Forecast profits and sales while optimizing the sales volume and profitability of existing stores and collections
- Develop budgets for all ranges while controlling stock levels based on forecasts
Experience and Qualifications:
- 12+ years of relevant senior-level merchandising experience in women’s apparel; multi-channel, wholesale and retail experience preferred
- Demonstrated success in further developing a brand with numerous complexities while driving all aspects of a business with preferable experience with supply chain management, marketing and working with design
- Ability to drive, negotiate, question, evaluate and communicate ideas and plans related to all phases and actions of the product creation process
- A proven ability to anticipate future trends and global consumer preferences in key markets. Has broad knowledge and perspective of the business, the market and the industry. Is future-oriented; can paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities. Can use information and insights to develop strategic perspective and direction. Responds quickly to a changing environment
- Strong track record of developing innovative, customer-focused ideas that produced successful results when measured against business objectives
- Is knowledgeable in current and possible industry and business issues, policies, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization. Knows the competition and marketplace. Understands what information/insights will help guide/lead the business
- Demonstrated ability to manage multi-million dollar budgets in a cost-effective manner
- High taste level with equally strong qualitative and analytical skills. Previous experience managing a P&L