SENIOR DESIGNER - Sweaters
Crisp color, graphic prints and playful sophistication are the hallmarks of Kate Spade & Company. From handbags and clothing to jewelry, fashion accessories, fragrance, eyewear, shoes, swimwear, home decor, desk accessories, stationery, tabletop and gifts, our exuberant approach to the everyday encourages personal style with a dash of incandescent charm. We call it living colorfully.
Kate Spade & Company has over 168 retail shops and outlet stores across the United States and more than 87 shops internationally. Our colorful products are sold worldwide, in every time zone and on every continent. Whether in San Francisco, Sao Paulo or Shanghai, our shops are always warm and inviting.
Welcome to Kate Spade & Company.
This person will work across our four brands – Madison Avenue, Broome Street, kate spade new york and Athleisure to create, and develop product designs specializing in fully fashioned knit apparel. The ideal candidate is a highly creative individual who welcomes the opportunity to work on a highly collaborative team and embrace change as the brand grows and develops.
- direct trend and strategy for sweaters line with approximately 50-60 styles per season. research current best sellers and trends to develop appropriate style, design, and brand evolution
- own the sweater product design process including market research, yarn research, designing, hand sketching, flat sketching, specing, creating tech packs, and ensuring that product is designed to meet target customer's fit criteria
- work closely with other members of the apparel design and cross-category design teams to ensure a cohesive product line is realized; provide recommendations regarding seasonal themes, edits to line
- establish full working knowledge of yarn selection, washes and finishes; provide direction and implement stitch techniques and construction that will execute and create the best 1st proto and market sample. partner with product development and raw materials teams in achieving desired outcomes
- develop knit classifications, within the framework of the line architecture, to reflect a balance between fashion/trend as well as core and emerging businesses for presentation to and selection by the merchant team. collaborate with merchandising team to develop product according to plan goals
- own proto and market sample review for knit classifications; evaluate all adopted styles for aesthetic, fit, construction, and quality
- assist in alterations and organization for internal fashion show
- possess strong knowledge of garment construction and lead fit sessions to help solve all problems that may occur during proto sample and market stage; responsible for final approval of sample fit to ensure production-ready market samples
- provide direction for color ways, fabric, and trim direction selection.
- some overseas travel required
· bachelor’s degree in fashion design or related field required
· 7+ years related design experience across multiple brands.
· thorough knowledge of silhouette, trends, fit, fabrication, color ways, knit construction techniques, yarn stitching and trims.
- possess full working knowledge of knit and woven raw materials.
- strong organizational skills, proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- strong computer knowledge, including adobe illustrator and strong hand sketching ability
- knits/sweaters experience required
- in depth understanding of kate spade brand and ability to translate it into commercial product
- ability to build positive, collaborative relationships cross functionally and as a manager
- requires the ability to explain the nuances of fully fashioned knitwear to top executives