The Senior Designer / Director for Handbags drives the seasonal design development process, from concept to delivery, by supervising a team of designers to create original, trend-appropriate design concepts that meet market needs and drive sales, managing the timely execution of each stage in the process, and coordinating across categories to ensure consistent quality and look.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Innovation
• Shop and perform research to isolate key, relevant trends for each category or brand, where appropriate; review and provide perspective on competitive analysis; oversee assembly of fabric and concept boards, mock-ups, color-ups and inspirational photos for presentations
• Oversee development of initial seasonal design concepts in context of larger assortment and cost structure; collaborate with sales to devise style plans and design according to trends; ensure timely execution of product development calendar; coordinate among design teams to ensure brand cohesiveness, where appropriate, across categories
Operations & Results
• Lead team in troubleshooting, including identifying and resolving quality and technical issues
• Supervise creation of Illustrator sketches; approve specification sheets and line sheets; review product development logs, line sheets and boards for consistency; approve raw materials and trims
• Approve lab dips and ensure consistency with color standards and licensor directives, where appropriate; approve prints and graphics where appropriate; oversee fit process
Customers & Relationships
• Direct interoffice communication and follow-up with internal and external customers and contacts, including suppliers and vendors; partner with production and tech; manage interoffice communication and relationships with vendors and internal customers
Leadership & Teams
• Contribute positively to team dynamic and manage up where necessary
• Attract, develop and retain talent
• Monitor and evaluate performance of individuals and team
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design.
• 6 - 10 years experience in luxury Handbag Design.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe products, CAD and Mac computers
• Must have demonstrated leadership expertise and consistent in-house work experience
• Must have luxury experience, high taste level and experience with better leathers
• Superior organizational skills and excellent communication skills; team oriented
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; highly detail oriented, meticulous and creative
• Creativity, technical capability and sensibility for merchandising; strong ability to sketch