The Merchandise Planner serves as a business manager for a specific category/department of merchandise across multiple channels and works as a partner to Omni-Merchants to build viable plans and profitable results. The Merchandise Planner is responsible for developing and maintaining sales and margin plans that tie to financial targets for their assigned category or department (across mainline, factory and direct channels) in order to maximize sales and profitability. The Merch Planner plans all components (retail, cost, units, margin, etc.) for specific categories/departments across channels pertaining to class or item level in order to maximize sales and profitability.
- Prepare pre-season Original Plans across multiple channels; financial sales and gross margin, consistent with the company's top-down goals, to be used in development of the merchandise strategies for the season and to support line development and buying needs.
- Build financial sales and gross margin plans at a weekly level on a seasonal basis.
- Strategize, develop and present seasonal key item plans that support sales and merchandise goals.
- Manage and plan merchandise markdown strategies to drive departmental sales, profit and turnover objectives.
- Work closely with the omni-merchant(s) to review in season product trends and performance, develop revised projections, and recommend adjustments to the season's plan to maximize sales and profitability.
- Present monthly revisions of merchandise plans to Merchandise/Inventory Planning executives.
- Provide fiscal control through analysis and management of markdowns and purchase orders. Identify risks and opportunities to maximize profits.
- Partner with internal business partners to communicate financial merchandising plans and strategies to support financial objectives.
- Work with merchandising and marketing to develop promotional strategies for multiple channels. Analyze promotional effectiveness and make future recommendations.
- Take on special projects that enhance the merchandising and planning processes and/or lead to opportunities for increased profitability.
- Complete hindsight analysis to highlight opportunities for future plans and strategies.
- Develop processes that build efficiencies and streamline work streams.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Approval of purchase orders and markdowns.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, or equivalent required.
- Advanced degree (Master’s or MBA) preferred.
- 3-5 years prior planning experience from a specialty or department store.
- In-depth knowledge of retail math concepts, applications, and statistical analysis.
- Arthur Planning experience preferred.
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, budgeting, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Travel is required, including the potential for international travel.
- High degree of proficiency MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications.
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting.
American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer