Associate Designer - Home Textiles
Associate Designer – Home
Designer, Sr. Designer
To contribute to the overall trend and direction for designs each season for the Urban Outfitters brand. The Associate Designer’s primary responsibility is to execute the development process of print and artwork. This role works in support of the Designer and Sr. Designer to design and source trends appropriate to the Urban Outfitters customer.
- Contribute to overall brand print and specific artwork trend for each season.
- Collaborate with the Senior Designer, Design Manager and Design Director each. Research, develop and present own print ideas.
- Style patterns into dynamic layouts, re-color prints, create repeats and rework vintage or bought original artwork into fashion prints for the Urban Outfitters customer.
- Collaborate with the Designer and Design Director each season to develop conceptual direction for the total artwork assortment.
- Set up Tech Packs for artwork on deadline. Communicate Tech Pack needs and requirements to Product Development.
- The ability to recognize and accurately forecast fashion and cultural trends in relation to print, art and color.
- Creative Vision: Have the vision to identify print and artwork trends in their early stages and understand their impact to fashion, to be one step ahead for the aspirational customer. Have the expertise to take aspirational ideas, focusing on the key details and to work for a broader audience. Bring creative ideas that give Urban a point of difference in the market without being too obscure.
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly and inspire: Excellent communication skills to communicate ideas and inspirations to others.
- Ability to research and report on industry print and art related trend direction, color direction, and technique innovations approximately 9-12 months ahead of season.
- Organizational skills necessary to manage: multiple tasks and projects, and complete them within deadlines.
- Excellent hand sketching and CAD skill in Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of overseas printing processes and all creative techniques in relation to silk screening, embroidery, flock, foil, embellishment and washing, dying treatments.
- Knowledge and ability to CAD up print repeats as final artwork, edit, color separate, recolor and match color from the seasonal palette.
- Keep up with new technology in the print industry. Digitally match colors to the printer for seasonal palette.
Bachelors Degree in Fine Art Textile Desig
- 2-3+ years working in fashion designing, styling and reworking prints and patterns
- Experience developing original textile prints
- Excellent hand sketching and/or CAD skills in Illustrator and/or Photoshop
May require some domestic travel.