ASSISTANT MERCHANT - Women's Fleece
Assist/partner with Merchant in analyzing business results and seasonal competitive trends, communicating decisions and key product/departmental information, and in supporting daily operational functions to successfully affect the department’s business.
- Rank the line weekly and make observations. Analyze current business and deliver recommendations for change.
- Review/analyze the assortment and recommend appropriate changes for assigned department(s).
- In partnership with the Planning team, analyze performance and plans to look for sales and margin opportunities.
- Cross-functional team communication: present ideas and influence the cross-functional team in major milestone meetings to drive assortment deviations for product categories. Ensure all channels are informed of business results and assortment changes.
- Understand competition and marketplace regarding trend, placement and pricing as it applies to assigned departments and the AE customer.
- Quickly identify and adapt to changes/trends occurring in the business and in the marketplace.
- Work closely with Design team and Merchant Leadership to interpret and forecast trends for assigned areas.
- Pass buy information for PO entry to MOS; approve all PO’s for areas of responsibility.
- Communicate price actions to MOS for entry into Price System.
- Respond to store level inquiries regarding pricing, ticketing, Price-change file, and placement of merchandise.
- Communicate with all areas of the business as it applies to the purchase, delivery, receipt, ticketing, processing, pricing, and quality of merchandise via email, voice mail, and markdown advice reports.
- Communicate with vendors regarding purchase order updates, shipping/packing, pre-ticketing, etc.
- Track all shipping for product: speak to shipping information during weekly merchandising meetings.
- Input and ensure accuracy of all product attributes to allow for accurate data analysis, seasonal recapping, and pre-season planning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Merchandising, Business, or equivalent.
- 2+ years previous experience in retail merchandising.
- Ability to strategize and strong skills in financial analysis.
- Aggressive and passionate individual will be most successful in this and future roles.
- Keen sense of fashion exhibited through personal taste.
- Understanding of aspirational brands and how to interpret their seasonal stories/messages for the AE customer.
- Risk Taker - Carefully considers risk/reward, ready to try new ways of doing things to improve learning.
- Forward Thinking/Innovative – Not satisfied with the status quo, ahead of the times, advanced views, creating something like nothing done or experienced before.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy (coolness and composure under strain, confidence without arrogance).
- Persuasive - Able to motivate others through the appropriate use of interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea.
- Proficiency in use of MS Office Suite, Outlook & Internet applications.
- Manual labor required (i.e. Carrying boxes of Merchandise, Organizing samples, Dressing bustforms).
- Strong analytical, prioritizing, interpersonal, problem-solving, presentation, project management (from conception to completion), & planning skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team.
- Ability to work with and influence peers and senior management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment.
- Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting.
American Eagle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.